There is a plethora of resources available on Implicit Bias and its impact on individuals, the workplace, and society. Please use these resources as a guide to understanding Implicit Bias and to supplement the learning you receive from our student. staff, or faculty workshops.
LMU's IB Task Force has developed a full bibliography of useful and informative Implicit Bias Articles to guide your own research and understanding in addition to the following:
Ngnoumen, Christelle T. (2019)
The Use of Socio-Cognitive Mindfulness in Mitigating Implicit Bias and Stereotype-Activated Behaviors.
Doctoral dissertation, Harvard University, Graduate School of Arts & Sciences.
Kimberly D. Elsbach and Ileana Stigliani (2019)
New Information Technology and Implicit Bias.
AMP, 33, 185–206
Keith Payne, Heidi A. Vuletich, Jazmin L. Brown-Iannuzzi (2019)
Historical roots of implicit bias in slavery.
Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences Jun 2019, 116 (24) 11693-11698; DOI: 10.1073/pnas.1818816116
Rivers, A. M., Sherman, J. W., Rees, H. R., Reichardt, R., & Klauer, K. C. (2020).
On the Roles of Stereotype Activation and Application in Diminishing Implicit Bias.
Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 46(3), 349–364.
Brownstein, M., Madva, A., and Gawronski, B. ( 2020)
Understanding Implicit Bias: Putting the Criticism into Perspective
Pacific Philosophical Quarterly
The New York Times
- The Root of Implicit Bias
- How Your Brain Can trick You Into Trusting People
- Confronting Implicit Bias in the New York Police Department
- Should All Americans Receive Anti-Bias Education
The Chronicle of Higher Education
- In Defense of Favoritism
- Hard Questions, Honest Answers
- How Serious Are You About Diversity Hiring?
- A Lab of Her Own Diversity in Job Interviews
- How Bias Training Works in One Campus Police Department
Other Notable Sites
Below are articles and resources centering around teaching. It is important that all areas of academics reflect and acknowledge their implicit bias. These articles will help you learn to combat bias as well as remove it from your classroom.
- How the Best Bosses Interrupt Bias on Their Teams- Harvard Business Review
- Why Teachers Must Fight Their Own Implicit Biases- Education Week Teacher
- Checking Yourself for Bias in the Classroom- Teaching Tolerance
- Teacher Bias: The Elephant in the Classroom- The Graide Network
- When Implicit Bias Shapes Teacher Expectations- NeaToday
Yale's Poorvu Center for Teaching and Learning has a great webpage dedicated to Awareness of Implicit Bias with other helpful information.
- Unconscious Bias: How It Affects Us More than We Know - Forbes
- Is Unconscious Bias Training Useful? - Quality Interactions
- 6 Actions to Mitigate Implicit Bias - Root Inc.
Articles that highlight the effects of Implicit Bias in many different spaces of society:
- Missing Female CEO's
- Unconscious Bias: How It Affects Us More than We Know
- Pregnancy Related Deaths
- Racial Media Bias
- White People are Raised to be Racially Illiterate
- Women Making Science Videos
- Yes You Have Implicit Biases, Too
- Our Hidden Prejudices, On Trial
- Admission Decisions
- How Search Committees Can See Bias in Themselves
- Biases Towards Disabilities
Other institutes and projects that have strong Implicit Bias programming: